Monday, August 27, 2012

Missionaries in Paradise


Maayong udto! That means "Good noon!" It's noon as I write this, so there you go.
 Every week of the mission field has adventures to bring. This week Sister Molina and I had to joy of exploring Sipalay, our new area. I'm pretty sure that Sipalay is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. This is a resort town. Tourists come here for snorkeling in ship wrecks, white beaches, and a gorgeous sunset every night. This is the kind of place my parents would like. But at the same time, it's very humbling. For example, of course, right next to the beach are the homes of the very poorest of people. There are only 4 public internet cafes.

Fun fact: Internet Cafes are almost always filled with young people who wish to spend what little money they have on  playing video games.

 This week I learned a fun lesson about watching what I say to people. You see, many/most people love to talk to me/see me, because I'm American. Others resent me. Yesterday I politely asked, "How are you?" to someone on the street. "Pigado," she said. "Poor." Next time, I'll just say "Good afternoon."

There in America, it sounds like everyone is starting up school again. In the Philippines school is already going. The school year started in June. Not that it really affects me much. Fun fact lang. 

I don't really know what to say about this week, except that I've had the opportunity to develop a lot of character. Hopefully for the better. When you're a missionary, Satan wants to hit you with everything he's got. His best tool of destruction is discouragement. He can get anyone with it. I've refocused my efforts, and I'm doing my best to do the work.

Missionary work has an interesting balance of things. Here's a Sister Molina acronym for you all. In our priorities we should always have JOY: Jesus Christ, Other, Yourself. I also have to consider the fact that in order to serve the J and O in JOY, I have to refine myself. I need to spend the time learning the language, and keeping myself close to the Spirit. Without the Spirit, we cannot teach. We should not teach.

 Okay, here's the funnest fact of the week. TRANSFERS! This transfer went so fast (maybe it's because I was transferred twice?) They switched things up this transfer: Instead of waiting for a phone call, we simply checked our emails. So this next transfer, I will be staying in Sipalay, but Sister Molina will be transferred! My new companion will be my dear friend, Sister Palai! If you recall, she and I were in the MTC together, and she was my housemate in Sagay for 2 transfers. It's very, very likely that I will be her senior companion. SENIOR COMPANION. Transfer information will be confirmed later today via phone. I'm honored at this responsibility. I have a feeling that this next transfer will be just as trying and character developing as each of my transfers have been thus far.

Missionary work is first and foremost... work. It's hard. It's also so fun to have success, to have this time to lose myself in the sharing of the gospel with the people of the Philippines. It's a wonderful honor.

It's time for scripture sharing! This week, I found great comfort/meaning in the following:

The Book of Mormon: Alma 5:7 & Alma 7:22. I feel like my whole life I've been asleep to my duty to God. I (We all) have a responsibility to share to good word today and always.

Ether 12:27 - At times I feel like all I have is weaknesses. But with humility and faith my weaknesses can become strengths by the power and love of God.

The Doctrine & Covenants: Section 6 - The Lord's words to Oliver Cowdery are so loving. I love how he talks about talents. I LOVE the last few verses of the section. To earth and hell I say "BRING IT ON! I can take it!"

 Uh, that's all I guess. You'll hear from me next week on Monday, and hopefully I'll hear from you too!

 Thanks for the prayers and thoughts and love! I need them all!

 Sincerely,

Sister Kelli King

No comments:

Post a Comment