Sunday, September 2, 2012

Mommy, WOW! I'm a big kid now!

Sep 3, 2012

Happy Labor Day! Being so very far away, I forgot it was a holiday until my father mentioned it in his email. I hope the "Kanos" and "Kanas" aka Americans are having fun on their day away from school and/or work. Today I am in Kabankalan again. There is a mall here called Gaisano (sp?) and there's an internet cafe on the bottom floor.

This week has been quite exciting! After I emailed last week, Sister Molina and I headed home to pack up all her things. The next morning we enjoyed waking up at 2 a.m. in order to catch a 3 a.m. bus to Bacolod for transfers. We arrived at the mission office at 7 a.m. (an hour ahead of schedule) and we waited for our new companions. Soon enough, they came. I am now the brand spankin' new senior companion of Sister Palai. I love her so much. We were apart for one whole transfer, and it was too much! That's why Pres. Lopez put us together. Ha ha, joke lang. This companionship (like all of the companionships in the mission) is inspired.

I won't lie, at first I was pretty intimidated about being Sister Palai's companion. Although we've been in the mission field for the same amount of time, she barely speaks or understands any of the mission language. She is from Kiribati, the Pacific Nation that no one has ever heard of before, and she's also a recently returned member of the church, meaning that she spent most of her life not going to church. She still doesn't know a lot of the doctrine. Her English isn't the best either. But that doesn't take away from our love for one another. I actually find sheer joy in being able to help/teach Sister Palai. And although I barely speak the language myself, we somehow manage. The first day that we went out teaching, I was sort of afraid to leave the house. "Can we do this?" I thought. "Is this going to be a total disaster? Maybe we should just stay home." But we prayed, and we did absolutely fine. And we continue to teach, and we feel the Spirit! It's amazing!

I never thought that becoming a senior companion to a person who doesn't speak the language would be the answer to my prayers. I've been struggling with feelings of inferiority and uselessness, because I wasn't as talented at the language or as good of a teacher as my companions. But now... I'm needed. Sister Palai needs ME. More importantly, the Lord needs me. So, as good ol' Nephi says, "I will go and do the things the Lord hath commanded."

That's one of my favorite scriptures to share to people (especially less active members) when we teach. That's also why I've memorized it in Ilonggo! This is my new goal. I'm memorizing scriptures. I know memorized scriptures were like, required back in the "discussions" days, but here it's not. But I'm going to do it now. It will help me with my vocabulary, grammar, and teaching. I've also memorized Moroni 10:4-5 in Ilonggo. "Kag paagi sa gahum sang Balaan nga Espiritu, mahimo ninyo nga mahibal-an ang kamatauran sang tanan nga mga butang." "And by the power of the Holy Ghost, ye shall know the truth of all things."

This transfer, Sister Palai and I are going to learn a lot. I'm going to learn how to teach, and we both are going to learn the gospel really well. As well as the English language. Everyday when we read from the Missionary Handbook (the "white Bible") together I define difficult English words for her and stuff. It's so fun. I'm so glad I have this opportunity.

This week, Elder and Sister Adams, a senior missionary couple came and moved into the house where the Bevans couple was in Sipalay. We went with them yesterday to some of our visits to Recent Converts and Less Active members. It was so fun. So out of the 4 of us, assigned to this area, I'm the only one who speaks a lick of the language. But this is going to a great experience.
 
Much love! I enjoy every single message I receive! Yours always!

Love,
Sister Kelli King

No comments:

Post a Comment