Monday, September 10, 2012

Open your mouth



Hello friends and family once again! This is Sister King, and I'm writing again about my exciting excitement that envelops my life on a regular basis. Not to say that I'm hang gliding or parachuting, but I am in fact teaching people the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Missionary work has its ups and downs, but it is always rewarding, even if a lesson doesn't go well. "Bad" experiences are merely learning experiences. Every experience is good if you have the right mentality. I thank Heavenly Father for my trials as well as my blessings.

This week the work blossomed here in Sipalay! Last week, we really didn't have any progressing investigators. Not very many people came to church, etc. So this week, we set goals to really work hard find the souls who are searching for the truth, who are searching for a mighty change, who are searching for peace, happiness, and salvation.

We are able to find some investigators that the Elders taught before we arrived, and they came to church. We also found some part member families. This week we began teaching 3 young girls (age 9, 9, and 13) who have family members in the church, but they are not yet baptized. They were already attending church regularly too! To we set a baptismal date, and we'll get them baptized soon! I'm so exciting. They are my first investigators that are MINE. I feel a special kind of pride for them because I'm the senior companion. Since Sister Palai doesn't really speak the language well, I do most of the teaching. Of course they are OUR investigators, but you know, I'm so proud of them, and I really want to do a good job. As missionaries, we are responsible for the understanding, and spiritual development of our investigators. Of course they themselves are responsible, but we the missionaries are guides along their way.

Here's a fun story. On Thursday we found ourselves in a far away place with no mode of transportation to get back except our feet. So we started walking back to town. Along the left side of the road, the land was hilly, like a cliff. On top of the cliff was a house, and inside the house was a lady yelling down to us, saying that she wanted to be my friend. I'm not at all surprised at this. After all, I am really really popular, and really really likable. Also I'm white and American, and people here like that. We humored her, and we got her name, and asked if we could visit her next week. I have no idea how much success we'll find with her, but hey, when the fish are asking to be caught, go ahead and catch them.

Later that very same day, our Zone Leaders challenged our whole Zone to increase our street contacts to speak. "O.Y.M." "Open your mouth." Here in the Philippines this year, we are emphasizing referrals, and contacting less active members, and strengthening the recent converts. We actually don't go door to door, or invite ourselves in like many missionaries do, or have done in the past. So for the past few days, we've had fun talking to complete strangers, and gaining the courage to give them pamphlets, and ask them if they would be interested in hearing about the church. We found a lot of potential investigators this way. I'm so excited.

To finish off this week, I give you a scripture. Alma 13:27-30.

27 And now, my brethren, I awish from the inmost part of my heart, yea, with great banxiety even unto pain, that ye would hearken unto my words, and cast off your sins, and not cprocrastinate the day of your repentance;
 28 But that ye would humble yourselves before the Lord, and call on his holy name, and awatch and pray continually, that ye may not be btempted above that which ye can bear, and thus be cled by the Holy Spirit, becoming humble, dmeek, submissive, patient, full of love and all long-suffering;
 29 aHaving faith on the Lord; having a hope that ye shall receive eternal life; having the blove of God always in your hearts, that ye may be lifted up at the last day and enter into his crest.
 30 And may the Lord grant unto you repentance, that ye may not bring down his wrath upon you, that ye may not be abound down by the chains of bhell, that ye may not suffer the second cdeath.

This is my plea, my desire to all. Repent and come unto Christ. Life really is better if you let the love of God fill you and heal you.

Love always,
Sister Kelli King

No comments:

Post a Comment