Monday, July 9, 2012

The rains came down & the floods came up


 Mon, Jul 9, 2012

Epistle from the Philippines 11: The rains came down & the floods came up.
Alohamora! Let's start with the questions mom asked me:

How has life been in Sagay this week? Great. Rainy. It rained every single day last week, which isn't typical. I think there's a typhoon. I heard there was. Anyway, the work progresses, and I'm still alive and well.

Have you met the new [Mission] Prez[ident]? No, I haven't. President Lopez got delayed at the MTC for a week because he was sick, and I think he and Sister Lopez have only just arrived in the Philippines within the last few days. But they are here, and I'm sure I'll meet them this week.

 Are you living in a new and not so leaky place? No, not yet. But we got the people to lower the rent, and they signed the contract! We'll be set to move into the new house on August 1st. Well, the missionaries who are in Sagay will. I may or may not be here, depending on transfers.

Yeah, so like I said, life has been good! We have a baptism coming up on Saturday. The Sister is truly elect.

It sounds like everyone had a great 4th of July! I spent the day proselyting and teaching people the gospel and stuff.

This week namely on July 4, I thought about America a lot. I sang all the patriotic songs I could think of all day. When I was getting ready for bed I thought, my family is probably waking up and going to the 4th of July parade right now! The next day before lunch, I thought, my family is watching the fireworks! I was only slightly sad that I couldn't be there. Being in the Philippines has heightened my appreciation and patriotism for my own country. Not that I don't like it here. I do. But I also really love America.

Independence Day in the Philippines was in June 12. The people celebrated by doing... nothing. They had no school or work that day, but that was about it. I had fun describing to my companion and housemates that in America the 4th of July is awesome, complete with barbeques, parades, wearing red, white and blue, and of course FIREWORKS. Here, nothing.

I get nostalgic about really weird things. For example, the movie I am most looking forward to watching when I get back is Scrooge. Yes, it's a Christmas movie. Yes I think about it, and sing it to myself frequently. I am aware that Christmas is nearly 6 months away, but that doesn't change a thing. I've also contemplated Albert Finney. Is he English or American? I've seen him play both, and I can't tell. He's like Cary Grant in that he talks the way he talks, neither here nor there. Dad, please let me know.

Missionary work is hard, let me tell you. If we do not have the Holy Ghost with us, then it is impossible to teach an effective lesson. From our studies in the Preach My Gospel Manual, we learn that listening to the people you teach and listening to the spirit is crucial. I often find this very hard on account of the fact that I don't understand everything that people say. Slowly I am understanding. I definitely understand better than that I speak the local language (Ilonggo, or Hiligaynon) but it takes constant effort. Comprehension is particularly difficult when 1) The room is noisy and/or they have a quiet voice and 2) when they talk FAST. People talk really fast sometimes, and it is really frustrating sometimes. But the people are generally nice. Especially to me since I'm the big white one.

My greatest joys in the mission come from seeing people make righteous decisions. A few weeks ago we started teaching a man who has been inactive in the church for a few years, and he has a drinking problem. Well, soon after we started visiting them he stopping drinking, and he's been coming back to church. This is the sort of thing I like.

Everyday I tell people that God has a plan for them. It's amazing for me to see that God has a plan for me too. For example, I sincerely feel like I am exactly where I am supposed to be right now. Everything in my life has lead me here. I have more than one purpose here too, more than one role. I know for a fact that everything happens for a reason. Even the mishaps. Everything that has ever happened has made me who I am here, right now. And I am affecting others too. This is all part of the plan. I'm glad I'm in Sagay. I'm glad I'm a missionary. I'm glad I have my companion, my housemates, my ward, my family, my friends, my everything! It all fits.

On another note, I ate chicken intestine this week. Yum.

Ta ta, Love you! I love your emails, but maybe keep them short? I only have an hour of computer time! Love you !!!!!

Sister Kelli King

No comments:

Post a Comment